Friday, May 15, 2009

We have arrived!

We made it safe and sound this afternoon to Italy.  The plane ride was uneventful and despite my apprehension, it really didn't seem very long.  But don't be confused because it was over 9 hours!  The food was good (for an airplane) and kept coming during the entire flight.  We had snack, dinner, snack, and breakfast.  Delta makes sure no one goes hungry!  I also enjoyed the freedom of picking which movies I wanted to watch.  I watched Slumdog Millionaire (so good) and Inkheart (surprisingly ok).  I had an issue with the passenger in front of me who didn't understand the rule "seat backs up and tray tables in the locked position".  Oh what joy, to have your personal space decreased the entire time....but he wasn't an American so I decided it would be my first of many adventures with people from other cultures.

Once we landed and made it through customs, the real adventures began.  I definitely struggled with using the pay phone and required three tries before I finally made the call.  My first purchase was a diet coke that cost 2.60 euros...you do the math, but that is one expensive drink!  We loaded the bus and took a four hour trip to Reggello.  During the trip we stopped for lunch, I had the best panino.  Such a yummy lunch!  The panino (singular for panini...I am learning so much) plus a bottle water was only 5 euros.  This may not be a deal, but after my diet coke it seemed like a great way to spend money.  

We have been settling in for the last couple of hours and are about to sit down for the first meal!  

1 comment: