Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pisa & Lucca

Yesterday was our first day as real tourists!  We hopped on the bus after breakfast and headed to Pisa.  This was a big day for me because of the excitement of the infamous leaning tower picture.  I have now learned this picture is a bit more difficult than I expected.  After about 6 or 7 shots, I finally got one!  Check that off the list!  Pisa was rather disappointing though because it is such a tourist trap.   But this is also where Rhiannon and I tested our Italian for the first time by ourselves.  We had great success and enjoyed the gelato as our price (that's ice cream!).  

After Pisa we loaded the bus again and were off to Lucca.  Lucca was incredible!  It is a walled city with the narrow cobblestone streets, tall buildings, and piazzas everywhere you turn.  Upon arrival, we went for lunch.  I had a tomato and fresh mozzarella, with basil, panino....so good.  We did have to eat standing up because dining at the table costs more.  Once we finished lunch we set out to rent bicycles.  After about 30 minutes of searching, we decided to just buy something and ask.  This seemed like a good idea until we realized the man in this shop spoke no English.  I, of course, couldn't remember the Italian word for bicycle.  Instead, I began a game of charades with the gentleman.  After many failed attempts, he finally figured it out as I began to air peddle while holding my imaginary handlebars.  "Oh" he said and pointed of into the distance.  We traveled a few blocks more until we found the bike rental shop...where no one spoke English either.  We managed to rent bikes, no gestures needed, and toured this city.  This has been my favorite part so far.  Rhiannon, Brie, and I spent the next hour peddling around the wall (which surrounds the city) and through town giggling as we got lost and questioning "haven't we been here before".  Surprisingly we made it back in time (and trust me that this was impressive- we were quite lost at one point, although this town is very small- only about 15 blocks by 10 blocks).  We turned in our bikes and decided to hit the shops.  I bought a cute Pinnochio but he got lost before I made it back to the villa.  So I am on the hunt for another one!

We left Lucca and I grabbed a short nap on the way back to Casa Cares.  After dinner a few of us sat on the front porch and painted water colors to wind down.  It was a great ending to an amazing day!


My poppy picture from our watercolors and wine by candlelight


The streets of Lucca

My lunch, yum!

My Pisa picture!!!!!




4 comments:

  1. Regarding the panini: mine was arugula, did you get basil? If so, lucky ME!!!

    That Pisa picture is so great! It looks like you're about to climb the tower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds and looks like you are having an amazing time! Everything is so beautiful!!
    Miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like the perfect day in Italy..."sat on the porch and painted water colors." Could that be anymore fairytale! Love it. Miss you.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do look like Spiderman about to climb up the tower...or like a giant about to squash the poor people gathered around the tower!

    ReplyDelete