Monday, May 25, 2009

Siena


I had a wonderful day yesterday in Siena.  It has been my favorite day so far!  I took 170 pictures and kept getting the "card full" message on my camera :0) 

We arrived in the city around noon and spent all day, even through dinner, visiting the sites.  This has probably been one of my favorite spots!  But even 9 hours wasn't enough for me to see it all!  Upon arrival, we walked to a bar to take a bathroom break and order a little snack.  I had a mini donut, but had an awful time trying to order.  I got my letters all turned around but luckily a friend had ordered the same thing before me and did a good job pronouncing the word.  Paul brought us to the center of the town and we were off to our own adventures.  Lunch, even though I had just eaten my snack,  was the first thing on our agenda.  A small group of 4 of us found a little restaurant right on the campo.  I had the most delicious tomato/mozzarella panino, a large bowl of fruit, and a class of wine (all for 11 euro...that's pretty good!).  My attempt to order in Italian this time was given a thumbs up by the sweet waiter. Afterwards, we hit the stores.  I didn't buy much, but I managed to find a pretty necklace for my grandmother's birthday.  Around 3:00, we met up with the group for a guided tour.  We visited St. Catherine's Cathedral, which actually has her skull and right thumb inside (it is considered to be a blessing to have relics from saints).  Roberta was our tour guide.  She led us all over Siena, discussing the various neighborhoods and the famous horse race they have twice a year.  Our tour ended at Siena's Duomo....which was breathtaking.  I can't even begin to describe this cathedral.  It is covered by white, pink, green, and black marble (the green & black are no longer found in Siena).  The inside is filled with marble and statues by Michelangelo and Nicolo Pisano.  Also inside, is the Piccolomini library, which is walled with frescos depicting the life of Pope Pius II.  The frescos are so bright and vivid as if they were just finished yesterday.  

After our tour was over, we were off on our own.  We took in a little more shopping time before dinner.  I loved being able to eat dinner in town.  A group of seven of us decided to stay on the campo and eat (just across the way from my lunch spot).  It was delicious!  I ate gniocchi with pesto and sundried tomatoes.  We were going to try to find somewhere after dinner for a little pastry, but unfortunately everything was closed
Britt and I with our mini donuts


The Duomo in Siena

The library

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE seeing all the wonderful places you get to actually visit!!! sooooooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete