Thursday, May 21, 2009

Assisi

Today was another day in which we went out into the country.  Our first stop was a quant town that sits on the Trasimeno Lake.  The water was stunning.  I immediately fell in love with this area.  This was only a quick stop to grab a bite to eat (gelato, anyone?) and shop for some local pottery. 

 After this all too quick stop (I want to go back), we loaded the bus to head to Assisi.  Assisi is a walled town full of religious significance.  This is the town where St. Francis lived.  But not only St. Francis but another Saint who lived during the same time, St. Clare.  I was so thrilled to hear about St. Clare or Santa Chiara as she is called in Italian.  We visited multiple sites, including Cathedral de Santa Chiara, Cathedral de Santo Rufino (site of St. Francis’ & St. Clare’s baptism, the font is still in the church),  Rocca Maggiore, and the Basicilica of St. Francis.  Each time we visit a new town, I think “this is my favorite”.  Assisi was rich with historical and religious significance.  Both St. Francis and St. Clare are buried in their respective cathedrals. 

Besides the rich history, there was a bit of shopping too!  Although, I would have liked another hour to shop…. I did manage to find a few goodies to bring back home.   My gelato flavor today was tirimasu.  It was delicious.  This morning I went around sampling others’ flavors to find my favorite….so far it has been biscotti!  I will continue this quest until I leave (it’s a hard job but someone has to do it!).  I had to pay for a bathroom again, .50 euro.  But it is important for me to add, this may be the best .50 euro I ever spend!

After a 2 hour bus ride, we made it back to Casa Cares.  Dinner of polenta, meatballs, salad, roasted potatoes, and sauted peppers was waiting.  Words cannot express how wonderful the food is here.  I keep telling Paul he needs to put together a cookbook.  They would sell out quickly!!!

The town by the lake Trasimeno

This is a picture of St. Clare's Cathedral

My New Jersey friend Britt and I with GELATO!

The espresso machine on our bus...these Italians really like their cafe'


2 comments:

  1. I think you should put a continuous counter on the blog of how many times you get gelato :) The food sounds amazing. See if you can get him to write down some of the recipes. I would love the try them. Glad to hear you are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sound delicious!! Yum Tiramisu Gelato sound so good right now. Glad you are having so much fun. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete