Saturday, May 23, 2009

Greve & San Gimignano

Today we visited two town, Greve and San Gimignano.  Greve was just a short 45 minute ride on the bus from Casa Cares.  The big thing to do in Greve is visit the market and go to the wine tasting.  The market was an area of town where dozens of booths set up once a week.  This market travels to different towns each day of the week.  It is a popular place to buy tablecloths and scarves.  It doesn’t take too long to walk around the market and visit the surrounding stores.  I bought a few card table size table toppers and a little dress.  After the market, we visited the wine store with over 100 wines to taste.  It was such a great set-up of various Tuscan wines, from the Chianti Classico, Riserva, Super Tuscans, Sangiovese, and Vin Santo.  As you entered the store, you chose a debit card loaded with a specified amount of euro.  Then you took your card over to the tasting table and slid it into the slot, pushed a button, and out came the wine.  The cost of your particular taste of wine was subtracted from your debit card.  The price ranged from .60 to 2.80 euros.   It was fun to walk around and examine the bottles before getting a taste.  They also had a tasting table set up for the olive oil, which was free.  So you could walk around and push several different oils to find one you liked.  That has been one of my favorite stops.  I didn’t buy any wine, but I took pictures in hopes to find them at home.

Our second stop was San Gimignano.  It is another walled city full of tall buildings and cobblestone streets.  This was the site of today’s gelato tasting!  We walked around and did some shopping, but the prices were the highest we had seen so I didn’t purchase much.  It was fun to just leisurely walk around and enjoy the city.  Before we left to go back to the villa, we took a trip into the grocery store.  I bought some cookies to share with my family and some wine.  I bought a small box of wine for 1 euro!!!  I couldn’t believe it, I mean a diet coke is 1.25!!

San Gimignano

The open market in Greve

The wine tasting store in Greve
(this is my demonstration photo)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment